Valencia CF Interim Digital Management
Similar to many top European football clubs, Valencia CF’s main opportunity for growth is to drive international audience reach and engagement.
In January 2014 with the club up for sale, the CCO’s vision was to grow the global fan base by being a leader in technology innovation, creating a foundation for additional revenues.
However, there was no internal capability for executing against this vision: no dedicated digital resource, and content production was heavily focused on satisfying local media.
Seven League were engaged to audit VCF’s digital operations, develop a strategy for growth and then to accelerate that process by embedding staff within the club.
What We Did
- Following the audit and strategy project, Seven League acted as the club’s Head of Digital from April 2014–June 2015
- We quickly implemented new people (recruited a digital team), platforms (website re-launch, YouTube optimisation match-day centre, analytics tools) and processes (content planning, KPI reporting)
- We implemented sophisticated segmented content planning, and built a network of highly engaged VCF fans with the digital skills to help grow the club’s reach in their local markets
- The changes enabled us to take on projects to position VCF as a leader in technology innovation in sport
- Through the Junts Tornem fan engagement campaign (‘We come back, together…’) the international perception of club changed.
- Valenciacf.com was re-launched as a market-leading club website.
- Consistently positioned the club as one of the top 3 major clubs for social media growth rates.
- Established digital innovation credentials by being first brand to show the value of WhatsApp sharing to website traffic.
- Built club’s innvoation reputation with planning and execution contributions to a complex 5-channel HD LTE video broadcast at the Mestalla stadium.
- Elevated the club’s digital operations from 2-star to 4-star level in sophistication and quality.