NBA Social Media Content Management
- The NBA is considered a premium global sport, broadcast in over 200 countries in more than 40 languages
- The NBA EMEA team are tasked with driving growth of the sport outside of the US and developing long term fan engagement strategies
- Our brief was to see how social media could grow fan engagement and promote consumption of the sport, specifically in five markets: France, UK, Spain, Turkey and Italy
Seven League were initially challenged to audit the NBA’s social media accounts in Europe. Our report outlined some recommendations that would take the NBA European accounts from good to great.
The NBA took the recommendations on board and asked Seven League to implement them at the start of 2017.
What We Did
- Took over the management of five Facebook pages and five Twitter accounts in France, Italy, Spain, UK and Turkey
- Built a team, including: local social media managers based in the five markets, video editors, graphic designs, a content planner and analyst
- Created locally relevant, language appropriate content – all of which delivered against at least one of five agreed content objectives
- Utilised the NBA US game footage to make videos that are mobile friendly, made-for-social and relevant to each local market
- Used weekly data analysis to optimise content production, support paid media planning and provided reports for all levels of the business
- Created social content and campaigns that helped the NBA achieve business goals such as selling merchandise, promoting League Pass and providing assets that can be sold to sponsors
- 222 million video views per season (87% increase year-on-year)
- 106 million minutes watched per season (40% increase year-on-year)
- 214,025 new fans added on Facebook and Twitter just during the Playoffs and Finals
- 20% increase of traffic driven to League Pass sales page
- 235,000 engaged Facebook users per day (45% increase year-on-year)
The European NBA social channels now provide a powerful marketing weapon that can be used to promote the TV broadcast, marketing campaigns, sales messages and sponsors.