Harlequins Social CRM Project
Harlequins RFC wanted to use the excitement ahead of the 2015 Rugby World Cup to generate commercial benefits from their digital services.
In particular, how to use their social communities to drive growth in their contactable CRM database.
They wanted to understand:
- The relationship between the club’s social media communities and database.
- The opportunity to grow the club’s CRM records.
- The techniques the club should use to drive conversion.
Seven League were engaged to evaluate opportunities around converting existing social audiences to CRM database records.
What We Did
- Key to the project was developing a unique system for matching first (CRM records) and third party (social networks) data – developing a brand new approach to social CRM
- Using innovative coding we were able to extract a range of personal identifiers from the club’s social media followers
- In the month-long data analysis phase we used this information to identify the commercial opportunities for CRM growth by individually matching each social media user with the club’s email database
- The club were provided clarity on the opportunity to convert users, with a clear understanding of whether users were on their CRM database
- Through the process we identified a range of commercial opportunities including:
- High volume of social fans ripe for conversion to email records.
- A range of high-profile and local businesses offering sponsorship & hospitality leads.
- Building the depth of the CRM database with the club able to add a range of new fields (e.g. social media handles) to existing email records.
A clean CRM database has allowed the club to leverage their CRM database for both commercial gain and more effective marketing activities.